Friday, February 05, 2010

Hindsight !

Of course, I don't need to explain you the meaning of the title, BUT the reason for the title. I was just browsing through my previous blogs and I saw an intereting trend about the stuff I have been writing. I started blogging when I was 19, in couple of months I would be 24. Hey, this is not an insight that I am sharing but it happens so in life, your expectations (misery) increase with your maturity (age).
When I was a kid, all I wanted was a ballon and an ice candy (cola flavored:-P), then some years later a dairy milk, bournvita and hot wheels. Few more years passed and I yearned for more than linguistic pleassures, I wanted bigger toys and games, then came the age of cricket bats and video games and it only got worse with bowling, pool and go karting. The actual problem started when I got into clothes (worse- branded clothes), junk food, gadgets and girlfriends (which was more of a fashion than anything else). It became serious with IIT aspirations and cardinal desires. After having failed both of the above I wanted to resurrect myslef. I became even more motivated, irritated and frustrated, hence all the more difficult to please. This led to dreams of high paying jobs with MNCs or preparing for suicide by going for MBA. While I already have the former (MNC job), I still yearn for the latter (MBA) which is only fuel for my expectations (miseries). And, I just don't want to satisfy my lust now, but I want to succed in love (which is a Herculean task for all mortals). Also, I have now added a BMW to my wishlist !
Something which started with a small, harmless, 2 rupee candy, is growing to swnaky cars, fine dining restaurants, marrige and a lot more, its difficult to even take stock of !
I miss the pleasure given by the candy, from the paper aeroplanes I used to build, form the Cosco ball I used to play with and of course the yummy 2 miute maggi noodles :-P
But enough of hind sight, now time for some foresight !
Lets FFWD to 35-40 years down the line. Going by my previous statement, your expectations (misery) increases with your maturity (age), that is just how long you will take to settle your unfathomable hunger for more out of life. By now, your children are married, your grand children love you, you have done all you could have (if not all you wanted to). This is the inflection point, where your misery (expectations) decrease with your age (maturity) and you feel like having sweets and gol gappas again (which you can't because of your sugar and blood pressure) and these tastes give you pleasure equivalent (if not more) to your pay hike. I 'm saying this from first hand information from my grand father.
So, what is the solution, how to drive pleasures out of small things in life........? Let me know, if you have the answer, I have already helped you with 'the' question !

2 comments:

chandani seth said...

well...
wat do i say...
happiness is in moments...:-)
n it shall pass too:-)
n bdw,i still crave fr da things i wanted 20 yrs ago...only sm 2,000,000,000 expectations(nt necessarily miseries)added onto it;-)
n u knw wat da basic need is still da same-appreciation,love...n well,..popularity;-)((well in my case tasty food too))
enjoy!!!

Luveen - MOcha_chilled said...

nice read divu...but if i had to add something..i wud say dat life indeed is a one shot plot ..nd who wud like the first frame to be like the rest of the others...!!! change is inevitable but so is basic instincts...its all just a nice pot pourri of all mixed into one..!! So we wud be greedy always , just dat the nature of teh greedy changes :-D :-D..keep writing buddy!!